This workshop introduces the area of sequence similarity searching and focuses on how to use tools like BLAST and PSI-Search to find homologous sequences in EMBL-EBI databases. This session will include tips on which tools and database to use, input formats, how to change parameters and how to interpret the results page.
Andrew Cowley, EMBL-EBI
Audience and Prerequisites
- This workshop is aimed at researchers who need to undertake sequence searching as part of their work
- Graduate students, Postdocs and Staff members from the University of Cambridge, Affiliated Institutions and other external Institutions or individuals
Syllabus, Tools and Resources
During this course you will learn about:
- Web-based pairwise sequence alignment tools
- Web-based sequence similarity search tools such as BLAST, FASTA, PSI-BLAST, PSI-SEARCH
After this course you should be able to:
- Understand the basics of sequence similarity searching and sequence homology
- Find related biological sequence data across EMBL-EBI resources
- Use different sequence similarity tools and apply appropriate tools for different applications.